Frequently asked questions and help

Who can I contact if I have any questions?

If you have a question that is not covered by the course information given in these pages or you have a question about an application you have submitted please email us at and we will respond to you as quickly as possible.

Travel to the UK, Summer 2021

LN904 will be delivered online for the first 5 weeks with the last 5 weeks being delivered on campus. LN905 will be delivered on campus. We expect students who take our programmes to be present on campus for any face to face teaching.

We will send you details of on campus registration which will be necessary before you can access teaching on campus. You will be able to book a 1-2-1 appointment to do this from early July 2021.

What guidance is there for travel from outside the UK? 

From 17 May 2021, the UK government is revising its international travel rules. Countries have been listed as green, amber or red for Coronavirus (COVID-19).  The rules that you will need to follow on arrival in England will depend on where you have been in the 10 days before you arrive and which list your country is on, regardless of if you have been vaccinated.

The Department for Education (DfE) has released other guidance for institutions and students studying in England called Students returning to, and starting, higher education during spring and summer 2021. This guidance also states that: residence rights includes those with an entry clearance or visa that grants such leave, for example, students, holders of existing leave to enter or remain such as those students with biometric residence permits, and holders of EU Settlement Scheme (‘EUSS’) leave.

The UK Council for Information Student Affairs UKCISA has some information too as well as some 'Some answers to your questions' that will be a useful source of informatin for you. 

Find out which list your country is on

If, in the ten days before you arrive in England, you have been in a country or territory on the: 

  • Green list – you must take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England and another test on or before day 2 after you arrive. You do not need to quarantine unless the day 2 test result is positive. Visit this page for further guidance from the UK Government
  • Amber list – you must take a COVID-19 test before you travel to England. After you arrive, you will need to take a test on or before day 2 after you arrive, and on or after day 8. You will also need to quarantine but LSE is offering a complimentary Test to Release COVID-19 test which may shorten your quarantine period. You should also visit this page for further guidance from the UK Government.   
  • Red list – you will not be allowed to enter the UK unless you are a British or Irish National, or you have residence rights in the UK. Visit this page for further guidance from the UK Government
  • If you have been in more than one country in the ten days before arrival, you must follow rules applying to the country or territory with the highest alert rating. For example, if you are travelling from a green list country but will have also been in or through a country or territory on the amber list in the 10 days before you arrive in England, you must follow the amber list rules. 

Stay up-to-date: 

The above information is a summary based on current UK Government guidance (correct at 12 May 2021). It is important that you refer to the UK Government website for full details of travel rules and requirements.  

Please also note that countries and territories can be moved between lists if conditions change so it is important that you stay up to date with guidance. You can sign up for an email alert to be notified when the UK Government guidance page is updated. You should also refer to travel advice and requirements issued by your own Government. 
Guidance for travellers from amber list countries 

Test to Release Scheme: 

The standard quarantine requirement for travellers from amber list countries or territories is to self-isolate in your accommodation for 10 days after arrival. However, you may be able to reduce the quarantine period via the Test to Release scheme.


Special arrangements for 2021

When will you open for applications?

We aim to open for applications on Monday, 1 March 2021.

Will you be offering the same programme that you offered pre-COVID?

Each course will deliver the same contact time as before, and an equivalent academic experience. However, we may have to make some adaptations to the delivery mode to ensure that our 2021 students can safely receive an excellent educational experience. These changes of approach have proven successful in our degree teaching this academic year. 

Please note: LN904 will be delivered online for the first 5 weeks with the last 5 weeks being delivered on campus. LN905 will be delivered on campus.

We expect students who take our programmes to be present on campus for any face to face teaching.

This approach is subject to modification as we monitor developments with the wider situation.

What measures have you taken to ensure the campus is safe?

Students' safety is our main priority. We will be guided by LSE’s wider approach to safeguarding students. The School has undertaken extensive risk assessments, and health and safety assessments on all rooms and communal areas of the LSE campus. In several areas we are going beyond UK government guidance to ensure our campus is safe.  

Current measures include face coverings, social distancing, extensive cleaning and LSE’s own track and trace system. 

More information on the safety measures the School has implemented can be found here:

(This link is for general information, as it is aimed at full-time LSE students, therefore there may be some aspects that will not be relevant to LN904/LN905 students)

What if I meet my English language condition after I have booked a place?

Many students with unconditional offers have found the presessional course extremely helpful in preparing them for their studies at LSE.

A presessional course will;

  • improve your academic written English
  • acquaint you with the academic expectations that come with a course at LSE
  • improve your research skills
  • improve your confidence in giving presentations
  • improve your confidence in speaking in seminars

You should also be aware that the marking criteria of the IELTS exam do not reflect well the characteristics of academic writing, as preferred by teachers.

An acceptable IELTS score is not therefore a guarantee of competency.

We would therefore encourage you to take the course you booked (or, if available, consider a shorter one) even if you have met the English language requirements of your offer.

Please also note from a visa perspective, if you were issued with a CAS solely for the purpose of attending LN904 or LN905 you will need to successfully complete this programme of study in order to be able to apply for a new Tier 4 visa whilst in the UK.

What is the validity period for the LSE English test?

Your test results and certification are valid for 2 years from the date of issue.

That means if you take and complete our programme, satisfying your offer requirements in terms of English, then defer your place you can use the certificate as proof of this for up to 2 years.

What if I want to cancel my place?

Our Terms and Conditions state 'if you wish to withdraw from a course you must do so in writing at least ten working days before its start date in order to qualify for a full refund'.

This means if you wish to cancel a place you have booked on our 2021 programme you will need to have informed us, in writing, before these times;

  • LN904: 16:00 (BST) on Friday, 04 June 2021
  • LN905: 16:00 (BST) on Friday, 09 July 2021

What about accommodation?

If you are taking LN904 & LN905 LSE Vacations are able to offer single en-suite room at Sidney Webb House.

You will need to book and pay for set dates. LSE Vacations are unable to accept shorter stays.

  • LN904 arrival will be 25, July 2021 and departure will be 02, September 2021
  • LN905 arrival will be 25, July 2021 and departure will be 02, September 2021

The rate per night is £51.00. Sidney Webb House has kitchen facilities available for students.

Please note the cancellation terms for accommodation. This is different to cancellation terms for tuition fees for this programme.

  • Cancellation up to 8 calendar days prior to your arrival, 100% refund.
  • Cancellation less than 7 calendar days prior to your arrival, no refund.

If you want to reserve accommodation for LN904 or LN905 you will need to email LSE Vacations at

Please quote the Language Centre course you have registered and paid for along with your LSE student number. They will then make a reservation for you and give you payment instructions. Full payment will be required at the time of booking.

Please contact if you have any questions about this.

As an alternative to these options here is some information from LSE Residential Services on budget short term accommodation options. [PDF] Please contact the companies listed if you have any questions about these options and they will be happy to help.

What if my main programme starts before the end of the Presessional course?

You will need to be available to complete the whole course.

Therefore, please make sure you are available for the duration of the course and that the registration dates for your main programme of study do not overlap.

If they do overlap, regretably, we will not be able to accept you on the course.

What if I am not available for the start of the course?

You will need to be available to complete the whole course.

Therefore, please make sure you are available for the duration of the course before you accept any offer from us. Please get in touch with us should you have any questions concerning your offer and start dates.

If you are not available to complete the whole course we will normally not be able to accept you on the course. Exceptions would be related to last minute travel issues meaning you might arrive one or two days later than planned.

What about insurance?

  • If you are coming to LSE from a country outside the European Union that does not have a reciprocal health agreement with the United Kingdom you should arrange private medical insurance to cover all eventualities of health care.
  • Students from countries with reciprocal health agreements with the United Kingdom will be covered for emergency medical conditions, but may wish to take out private medical insurance to cover non-emergencies.
  • More information on healthcare whilst you are in the UK can be found from UKCISA: UK Council for International Student Affairs.
  • In the unlikely event that we have to cancel the course due to low registration numbers it is also advisable that you make sure you have appropriate travel insurance to cover this and any other eventualities of travel disruption.
  • It is advisable that you take out a personal possessions insurance policy as your possessions are not covered under any hall of residence’s insurance scheme.

Fraud, scams and advice from UKCISA

UKCISA serves the interests of international students and all who work with them in universities, colleges and students' unions.

They provide up-to-date immigration, fees and international student experience information for students and colleagues working with them.

We do advise that you read through all the information you can on the UKCISA web site but in particular this section on fraud and scams. Unfortunately some criminals do target international students so it is a good idea to read through the information UKCISA have prepared.

What do I do about visas?

  • LSE has a specialist International Student Visa Advice Team, which can assist you with any questions relating to applying for visas and our English Presessional Programme. If you have questions about visas please complete their online query form.
  • Please note a CAS (if you require one) can only be issued by LSE once you have accepted and paid for your Language Centre course.
  • Information on this will be sent to you on acceptance.
  • Please pay special attention to information on Secure English Language Tests (SELT).
  • The most widely used SELT is the UKVI IELTS.
  • The ‘standard or academic’ IELTS may not be sufficient.
  • You will need a SELT if you are applying for a CAS and you have a conditional offer from LSE.
  • On the first day of the course we are obliged to check you are here with a valid and correct visa. We will need to take a copy of proof of this so please bring this with you.
  • You will not be able to commence your course until any visa you hold has been checked.

LSE English language requirements

Information on LSE English language requirements is available from LSE graduate admissions.

Frequently asked questions

In addition to this information it would be advisable to read through all the information sent to you by your Department and LSE Admissions before making your travel and accommodation plans.