Request to cancel, swap, extend or move out early

What to do if you want us to make changes to your accommodation contract

In this section, you find information on how to request an amendment to your room booking. 

We hope you're enjoying your accommodation but we know that circumstances can change. You're bound by the contract you signed, but if you want to cancel before you arrive, swap your room, book extra accommodation during the vacation, or arrive early here's a guide on what to do.

Cancel before you arrive

For details on how to cancel your accommodation before you arrive visit Book accommodation in halls.

Move out early

If you want to move out of your hall early, you have to let us know by submitting an early leaver form.

For more details and to access the forms, visit: Moving out early


Swap rooms in a hall or between halls

Room swaps will not be permitted during the Early Arrival period or for the first two weeks after your check in date. From two weeks after your check in date onwards, room swaps will be possible, however, you will require the permission of the warden.

In addition to this, both students must show evidence of a negative COVID-19 test to the warden upon seeking approval for the swap. The negative test result must be within 4 days of the date of the proposed room swap. 

Download and print the accommodation swap form [PDF].

Room swaps will not be possible in households where there is a positive COVID-19 case or if either student is self-isolating. This will be subject to any further guidance issued by Public Health England.

Stay in halls during the Christmas, Easter, or summer vacation

Christmas and Easter vacations

If you are in a hall with a 31 week contract that doesn't cover the Christmas and Easter vacations, you may be able to book extra accommodation.

Different rates apply during the vacation periods and we cannot guarantee you the same room or room type. Payment for rooms over the Christmas and Easter vacations need to be made when you book. Visit Staying at your hall during Christmas or Easter.

Summer vacation

If you are in a hall with a 31, 39 or 40 week contract that does not cover the summer vacation, you can apply for a room over the summer in another hall.  For longer stays, see what's available and how you can apply at: Summer vacation accommodation

Short stays of a week or less may be possible at your hall. Speak to reception for details.

Arrive early, before your contract starts

You may be able to arrive before your contract starts, but the process depends on which hall you're in for term time. Visit Arriving early at your hall.